Saturday 26 October 2013

Spicing up my leftovers with Gran Luchito





Just before we moved, Gran Luchito sent me a couple of jars of their chilli honey and paste. The trauma of moving meant that they didn't really get touched for a while and although I knew they were in my cupboards I was doing a lot of what we call 'point and pray' cookery so they didn't get an opportunity to feature.

A couple of weeks back I used the leftover roast beef to cobble together a keema-esque curry. I used my usual spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli, garlic, ginger and garam masala but still felt that something was missing. In went some of the smoked chilli paste, and while I'm sure it's not in any way shape or form authentic, it was exactly what I had in mind.

Last week, I was doing a leftovers lunch - the recipe for which is below, and again a good teaspoonful of the chilli paste, plus a couple of teaspoonfuls of the honey were exactly what I needed to lift it.



I find the smokey flavour of the chilli really works - there's no discernable punch of pure heat, but a much more complex - almost chocolatey aspect. Whilst I'm not a fan of food that is purely hot (there was an incident once of sharing out a plate of chilli that I couldn't bear it was so violently spiced) I love balance of heat that smoked chilli gives.

Leftovers lunch

Cooked rice - any quantity (I know some people have issues with leftover rice causing food poisoning and I don't dispute that at all. I just choose not to worry too much about it as I'm only cooking for myself and M.)
Grated ginger - about a thumb sized piece
2-3 cloves of garlic
Chilli to taste
Half tsp Gran Luchito chilli paste
Leftover veggies - I used the odd half onions, peppers, carrots, some slightly elderly mushrooms and some sweetcorn lingering around, but equally you could probably use most anything you have to hand. I wouldn't try potatoes though.
1-2 eggs
Soy sauce
Gran Luchito honey
Leftover herbs - I used coriander, but equally have used

Heat some oil up in a wok and add the chilli, garlic and ginger. Add the onions and cook down, then add your other veggies and stir until they're starting to soften
Tip in the cooked rice and continue to stir so that it breaks up
Add soy sauce, a couple of teaspoons of honey and continue to stir
Make a well in the centre of your pan and break 1-2 eggs in and stir them continuously to scramble. Stir the eggy mix into the rice and veggies
Add any herbs you have knocking around and taste to check your seasoning. Add more chilli, honey, soy etc to taste
Serve in a bowl and eat from your knees while pondering excel spreadsheets

I like this meal becuase it eeks the rice and veggies out for a few more meals. Especially towards the end of the week when you've not really got enough of anything to do anything specific with them, this kind of 'fridge bottom' recipe means that you don't end up with a solitary half onion mouldering in the salad tray. For me it fulfills the need at lunchtime for something hot, tasty and filling and keeps me going without that dreaded afternoon slump.

As less of a leftovers recipe, and more of a formula I'm going to enter this into this month's credit crunch munch - not only is it cheap in itself as all the ingredients tend to be fresh or convenient storecupboard staples that I have in the house, but having this to hand means I don't find myself tempted by the delights of the sandwich shop and save myself around £5 per day!






Credit crunch munch is normally hosted by Helen of Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla of Fab food for all. This month Michelle is hosting, and I do like the sound of her pull apart bread.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye