Saturday 23 February 2013

Marmalade and Polenta cake




I think I've mentioned before that I don't like marmalade. I love making it, I find the process soothing and satisfying. But eating it. Not so much. However, just to be contrary, I like it in things. Last year I endeavoured to use it up in a Sticky Marmalade cake, gave a fair amount away as thank you presents, but was still left with several jars.



I deliberately haven't made anymore this year, but had a sad jar of the Spiced Seville languishing in the back of the fridge. I was trying to ignore it when I saw Turquoise Lemons' No Waste Food challenge. This month's theme was preseves. Perfect!

Paddington Polenta cake is a combination of an orange polenta cake recipe I had printed out at some point in the  distant past and the sticky marmalade cake above, and nearly used up all of that leftover marmalade. Not quite all, but there's always room for more cake.




Historically anything containing Marmalade in our house has been prefixed by Paddington for obvious reasons. I don't forsee that changing anytime soon

200g softened butter
250g caster sugar
2 satsumas, zested and juiced - and then hoik the middles out with a teaspoon
30ml olive oil
4 large eggs
100g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g polenta
100g marmalade

For the drizzle

3 Tbsps marmalade with water to loosen

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees
Grease and line a big tin, I used my Christmas cake tin which is about 24cm and deep.

Cream the butter and sugar together until really light and fluffy
Add the satsuma zest and olive oil and beat until well combined
Add the eggs one at a time (with a spoonful of flour each time if you don't want it to curdle)
Mix the flour and baking powder together and add to the mixture. Fold in
Continue to fold in, adding the polenta and the marmalade

Bake in the oven for 60 - 70 minutes. If it looks like it's browning too quickly pop some baking parchment/ tin foil over the top
Take it out the oven and let it cool in the tin until it's still warm, but cool enough to handle

Warm the extra marmalade and water through in a pan on the hob
Poke lots of holes about 3/4 of the way down the cake using a skewer
Pour the loosened marmalade over the cake slowly so that it sinks into the holes

Allow to cool and serve. Either as a pudding with ice cream or creme fraiche, or with a pot of Earl grey tea. The orange in the marmalade should complement the bergamot in the tea.



This is my entry to Turquoise Lemons' No waste food challenge - under the February theme of preserves





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye