Saturday 15 September 2012

Preserving prettiness: Rhubarb and ginger jam



Rhubarb and ginger is one of my favourite flavour combinations. I keep meaning to bake a cake based on it, but as yet have forgotten. Most often I stew rhubarb with a tiny bit of sugar and some ground ginger to top porridge or yoghurt.

The other weekend Tesco were selling off their rhubarb for under half price. I nabbed two of the 400g packets with the original plan to stew it. On noticing that I had a tub of stewed from M's mum already in the freezer I thought a new plan was in order. So it was time to break out the maslin pan, jam spoon and jars and get preserving.

This is based on a WI recipe

800g rhubarb cut into 1 inch pieces
800g granulated sugar
50g crystallised ginger (the one covered in brown sugar if you can get it) finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon

Cut the rhubarb up and put in a large mixing bowl. Top with the sugar and cover with a tea towel. Leave overnight.

The next day stir in the sugar - most of it will have dissolved, if you feel like it's not started dissolving, leave longer (I left mine for 2 days without incident)
Pour into your pan, scraping down the sides of the bowl to get everything out


Chop your ginger really finely (this is my favourite of any photo I've taken. Ever)


Add the ginger and the lemon juice to the pan
Bring gently to the boil, stirring all the while. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface (or be lazy like me and just stir in a knob of butter at the end)



Boil for 30 minutes or until the sugar starts to flake on the edges of the pan


Do the saucer test to make sure that the jam has set
Use a funnel to pour the jam into sterilised jars, seal and when cool label


It's as simple as that. I may have taste tested the scrapings in the pan as this is destined to be Christmas presents. Yes, I said it again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye