Saturday 24 December 2011

We wish you a Merry Christmas



True to form, I have sherry on the go and we're putting the finishing touches to some of our decorations.

Today so far:
  • I've finished off a Ham in Coca Cola
  • Made a Cottage pie and apple crumble for tomorrow
  • Got the stuffing, and bacon for the pigs in blankets out of the freezer
  • The veg and fruit is in boxes in the cupboard under the stairs
  • The Christmas cake has been iced
I am repeating to myself "It's just a roast" while listening to Christmas radio and thinking about heading off to bed but before I do just that I wanted to wish all my readers (and Readers) a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I'm going to try and have a mainly proper break over the festive period but will try and do and update on the justaroast at some point.


Having just searched for the link, I realised that I've never actually posted the full recipe, just repeatedly told you that it comes from an ancient Good Housekeeping cookbook of my Mum's. So here, as a bonus, somewhat randomly in Christmas week is my tried and tested, can be increased to serve up to 24, can be made with leftover roast beef, roast lamb or mince depending on what you have to hand at any time, recipe. Erroneously called Shepherds Pie, it is nearly always Cottage in this house.


Penelope's Pantry does Shepherds Pie


2 Carrots, diced
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 tblsp plain flour
1 pt beef stock
Approx 1/2 lb minced or leftover finely chopped beef
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
Mashed potatoes to top


Cook the carrots and onion in oil for 3 or 4 minutes until softened, add the flour and cook out whilst stirring.
Add the beef, if mince, cook until browned, if leftovers just stir in.
Add the stock, thyme, Worcester sauce and leave to simmer for about 1/2 hour.
Check seasoning and add to taste.
Top with mashed potato, you can sprinkle or stir in cheese here. Tonight I've used a mix of winter vegetables to top.
Bake in the over at about 200 degC for about 1/2 hour.
Serve with green veg and embarrassingly, if you are me, ketchup

Be sure to have a lovely time with your nearest and dearest. If I don't see you before, I'll see you in the New Year with some posts on frugal food no doubt.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye